Hey guys! There are two recipes I am posting today which can be made for dinner or breakfast. The stuffing is not the classic masala dosa stuffing it is made for the stuffed idlis which can be used to make masala dosa also. The same batter and stuffing will work for both the dishes. So lets get cooking….
Rice – 3 cups
White urad dal – 2 cups
Poha/flattened rice – 1/2 cup
Rava – 1/4 cup
Salt as per taste
Boiled potatoes – 6 large
Onions (finely chopped) – 3 large
Capsicum (finely chopped) – 1 large
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds/Rai – 1 tsp
Jeera/Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 2 tsp
Cumin-coriander powder – 1 tsp
Sambhar Masala powder – 2 tsp
Garlic (grated) – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Asafoetida/Hing – 1/4 tsp
salt as per taste
1) Soak the rice and urad dal in separate bowls for 5-6 hours. After 6 hours Grind the rice and urad dal into a smooth paste and mix them together. Wash and soak the poha and grind it into smooth paste. Mix the grind poha and rava to the rice and urad dal batter and cover and rest it for another 6-7 hours.
2) After 7 hours it will have fermented. Using a laddle mix it all again. Now add salt and water to it to make it little loose batter. Do not make it too loose or else the idli will not form well.
1) In a wok take the oil. Add the hing, jeera and rai and let them crackle. Now add the ginger paste, garlic and saute for a few seconds.
2) Now add the capsicum and saute till it becomes little soft. Now add the onions and sate till they become pink. Roughly chop the boiled potatoes and add them to the onions.
3) Now add the red chili powder, cumin-coriander powder, salt and sambhar masala and mix and mash it all well together.
4) Let the stuffing cool down.
For stuffed idli:
1)Take the idli stand and grease it with oil. Now fill the mould with little batter (only 1/4 of the mould. Now take the a spoonful of stuffing in your hand and press it in between your palms a little. Place this stuffing in the batter filled in the mould. Now cover this stuffing with more batter to completely fill the mould.
2) Steam the idli for 15-20 minutes on fast flame. Once done let it cool a little and un-mould the idlis. Serve warm with coconut chutney.
Take a non stick pan. Now pour a ladleful of batter and spread and make dosa. Grease it with ghee/clarified butter and once it starts to brown a little add the stuffing in between and spread it across the dosa. Serve hot with chutney.