Hey all!! Since Navratri is going on many people fast for 9 days. There are many recipes available for fasting the recipe I have tried today is using Amaranth seeds. For more details on Amaranth seeds check out my amaranth salad recipe link below:
Since amaranth seeds are a bit sticky to use hence the bhajiyas will be crispy from the outside but soft from inside which is the perfect texture. It does not mean it is not cooked from inside. Add the amaranth seeds in the end and use the batter immediately. many people have red chilli powder during the fasting and many don’t hence that is optional.
Amaranth Seeds – 1/2 cup
Sabudana/Tapioca – 1/4 cup
Boiled potatoes – 3 large
Roasted peanuts (Semi Crushed) – 1/2 cup
Cumin/Jeera – 1 tsp
Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped) – 1/4 cup
Ginger-Green Chilli Paste – 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
Chat Masala – 1 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp (optional)
Salt as per taste
Water for soaking and boiling
Oil for frying
1) Soak sabudana for 3-4 hours. Soak the amaranth seeds for 1/2 an hour. Chop the boiled potatoes in small pieces.
2) In a wok take 1-2 tsp oil. Once warm add the cumin/jeera and let it splutter. Now add the ginger-green chilli paste and saute. Then add the boiled potatoes, salt, roasted peanut powder and mix everything well. Switch off the gas. Keep aside to cool.
3) Boil the soaked amaranth seeds in 1 cup of water for 2-3 minutes (do not over boil till it soaks all the water. Boil only for 2-3 minutes). Strain the seeds and keep aside till all the water is drained out.
4) Mash the potato mixture. In this add the soaked sabudana, chopped coriander leaves, chat masala, red chilli powder, lemon juice and salt (if required). Mix everything together. Finally add the boiled amaranth seeds and mix well. The batter will be little sticky.
5) Meanwhile heat the oil on high flame till it is hot. Once the oil is hot reduce the flame to medium heat and then fry the bhajiyas. Keep the heat on medium throughout do not lower the flame. Serve hot with pudina chutney or roasted peanut dahi (Mix together semi crushed roasted peanut, dahi, salt and some finely chopped green chillies).
Leave a Reply