Hi all!! The recipe I am posting today is something like a Gujrati Handvo but made with yellow moong dal. It is tasty and quite easy to make since it is made with cheese it is loved by kids equally. You can make it for breakfast or dinner. The base will be crisp and the moonglet is soft. It is an ideal tiffin recipe also. The steps are simple and you can make it very easily. So lets get cooking….
Yellow Moong Dal – 2 cups
Boiled Potatoes (chopped into small pieces) – 2 large
Onions (finely chopped) – 2 medium
Tomato (finely chopped) – 1 small
Cumin Seeds/Jeera – 1 tsp
Green Chilly ( finely chopped) – 1 piece
Ginger paste – 1 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander-Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Curd – 1/4 cup
Sugar – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Grated processed cheese – 1 cup
Coriander Leaves (finely chopped) – 1/4 cup
Oil for greasing
Water – 1 to 1 1/2 cups
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Soda (Cooking Soda) – 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
1) Soak the yellow moong dal for 1-2 hours.
2) Grind the soaked moong dal into a smooth paste. In this add the salt, sugar, curd, finely chopped green chilly and ginger paste and keep aside.
3) In a wok/kadhai take oil and let it become warm. Now add the cumin seeds and let it crackle. Now add the finely chopped onions and saute till it becomes translucent. Now add in the tomatoes. Let it cook till 2-3 minutes.
4) Now add in the red chilli powder, cumin-coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala, potatoes and mix it all well together.
5) Add this to the moong dal mixture as prepared above and mix it all together. Add the chopped coriander leaves. Finally add the baking powder and cooking soda and give it a good mix. Keep it aside for few minutes.
6) After few minutes Add the water and make the batter like dosa batter it should pour easily but not too watery.
7) Take a non stick pan and grease it with oil. Pour the batter into the pan (I have made two batches of the batter as I wanted my moonglet to be thin you can make it all together in batch also). Sprinkle grated cheese on top completely covering the top. Cover the pan and let the moonglet cook on medium flame for 15 minutes. Once the lower side is cooked and crisp turn the side. Let the lower side cook only for 5 minutes as the upper side need not be crisp.
8) Serve hot with mint chutney.