Hello!! Aloo palak is a very delicious, rich in flavor and creamy curry. When we were kids we had this cartoon named Popeye who was famous for his spinach eating habits. He would eat spinach and become strong. We often used to wonder if that was really possible and it is. Spinach is rich in vitamins and minerals, low in calories and versatile in cooking. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E and vitamin C. Most of kids hate to eat spinach but make this recipe and they will love it. So lets get cooking….
Boiled potatoes – 4 medium sized
Ginger – 1 inch
Garlic – 7-9 cloves
Green Chilly – 3 ( if using the spicy dark green chilly then only 2)
Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
Cumin Powder – 1 tbsp
Garam Masala – 2 tbsp
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Clarified Butter/Ghee – 1 tbsp
Jeera/Cumin – 1 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing – 1 tsp
Green Capsicum (finely chopped) – 1/4 cup
Onion puree/paste – 1/2 cup
Tomato puree/paste – 1/2 cup
Palak/Spinach – 250 grams
Malai/Cream – 2 tbsp
Cheese (grated) – 1 cube
Salt as per taste
Milk -1/2 cup
Kasori Methi – 1 tsp
Fresh coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Water for boiling
1) Boil the palak/spinach in an open vessel in water. Once done puree the boiled palak, fresh coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, green chilly and the cream/malai together. Keep aside.
2) Chop the boiled potatoes and keep aside.
3) In a deep wok take the oil, ghee and add the asafoetida and jeera/cumin in it and let it splutter. Once done add the capsicum and saute for 2 minutes. Now add the onion puree and let it cook for 5 minutes. Then add the tomato puree and let them cook till it starts leaving oil (approximately 5-10 minutes).
4) Now add the spinach/palak pure as prepared above in step (1) and add the cumin-coriander powder, garam masala, sugar and salt and let it cook for 5 minutes till it thickens.
5) At this stage add the milk and mix well. Add the kasori methi (slightly crush with palm) and lemon juice. Grate the cheese cube into the gravy directly and mix it. Finally add the chopped potatoes and cover the wok and let it cook for minute.
6) Switch of the gas and serve hot with paratha/naan/kulcha.
I am a lawyer by profession but love to cook. Being a foodie myself I keep trying variations with my recipes. My blog is all about my experiments and experience with food. You can follow me on instagram, twitter and facebook all having handles alawyerskitchen. I am also on the food reviewer panel with GoToChef, which is the perfect platform to check out reviews on various food products and also find recipes using the same. You can also find me on blogchatter https://www.theblogchatter.com/user/shailparekhthosani
and pinterest https://in.pinterest.com/alawyerskitchen2018/