Hey!!! So I am on a baking spree first cakes now breads. I have tweaked the recipe for a classic Focaccia Bread to appeal the taste of my family. Being from an all foodie family experimenting has been my hobby even classic recipes go through my experimentation. Sometimes I am successful sometimes it fails but that the excitement to keep trying never dies. It is said that the journey is always more exciting than the destination same is for food. So lets embark on this bread journey…
Maida/All purpose flour- 1 1/2 cup
Wheat flour- 1/4 cup
Instant dry active yeast- 1 1/2 tsp
Sugar- 1/2 tsp
Oregano- 2 tbsp
Chilli Flakes- 2 tbsp
Garlic powder- 2 tsp
Peri Peri Powder- 2 tsp
Onion (cubed) – 1 small
Tomato (diced)- 1 small
Capsicum (diced)- 1 small
Boiled corn kernels- 1 tbsp
Processed Cheese (grated) – 1/4 cup
Garlic (finely chopped)- 2 tbsp
Olive Oil or butter (at room temperature)- 1/2 cup
Salt as per taste
Warm Water- 1/4 cup (for kneading)
Warm Water- 1/4 cup (for activating yeast)
1. In a mixing bowl mix the maida/all purpose flour, wheat flour, garlic powder, chilli flakes, oregano, peri peri powder and salt.
2. In lukewarm water add the yeast and sugar and give it a stir. Cover and keep aside for 10 mins. The water should be lukewarm i.e. not too hot now cold. You should be able to put your finger in the water comfortably it should not sting.
3. After 10 mins check the yeast it will be bubbling. If the yeast is not bubbling then throw away an start again as the yeast has died.
4. Add the yeast activated water to the flour mixture as in step 1 and knead a soft dough and keep kneading for 5-10 mins. If the dough is hard add 1-2 tsp lukewarm water gradually. The dough will feel sticky but will be manageable. It should be soft. Knead the dough using your fingertips. Add 2-3 tsp of oil and cover the dough. Keep this dough aside to let it rest for at least an hour in a warm place. Do not disturb the dough at this stage.
5. In a bowl mix the olive oil/butter and garlic and keep aside for use.
6. After an hour the dough will be ready it will have increased in volume. Punch the dough lightly and knead again for 10-15 mins. Knead by adding oil on your palm and knead till it stops sticking.
7. Pre- heat oven to 180 degrees.
8. Use two tablespoons of the olive oil mixture to oil a rectangle or square or round rimmed baking tray of choice size.
9. Transfer the dough to the baking tray then press it down into the pan. Use your fingers to dimple the dough then drizzle the top with mixture of the garlic-olive oil/butter. Let the dough rise for 20 minutes until it puffs slightly. Add the tomato, onion, capsicum and boiled corn kernels topping. Now sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
10. Bake until golden brown for 15 to 20 minutes on 180 degrees. Cool baked focaccia bread on a wire rack. Serve with tea/coffee or any beverage of choice. You can also serve it with mayonnaise dip.