Hi!!! My cake journey started with this simple mawa cake. Back then I dint own an oven so I used to make it on the stove. Mawa is basically reduced milk. When milk is boiled to 1/4 of its measure the product is called mawa. You can use ready mawa or homemade mawa. For tips in cooking the cake on stove/cooker refer to my link…
Once I graduated to using an oven I started experimenting with different bases but this cake has always been my family’s favorite. Even today the simplicity of this cake is loved by all in my house. Try this simple but tasty cake and enjoy those small moments with a cuppa coffee/tea. Lets get baking….
Milkmaid/Condensed Milk- 200 gms
Unsalted Butter- 75 gms
Baking Powder- 1 tsp
Baking Soda/Soda Bi Carb- 1/2tsp
All Purpose Flour/Maida- 150 gms
Vanilla Essence- 1 tsp
Mawa/Khoya- 75 gms
Tutti Frutti- 50 gms
Milk- As required
1) In a mixing bowl take the milkmaid and butter and beat well. The butter should be at room temperature.
2) Now add the baking powder and baking soda and mix well. Cover the bowl and leave aside for five minutes.
3) In another bowl sieve the all purpose flour.
4) Add this flour gradually in the milkmaid mixture and keep mixing till there are no lumps. If the mixture feels stiff add milk gradually. The batter should be of pouring consistency and there should be no lumps.
5) Add the mawa and vanilla essence and mix well.
6) Add the tutti frutti and mix. Take the baking tin and rub some oil in the tin. Now dust the tin using the all purpose flour.
7) Pour the batter in the tin. Take care that the batter should not be more than half of the height of the tin. The batter should be half of the tin or less then half only then it will have space to rise properly.
8) Take a wide wok and place a stand in it. Place the cake tin in it and cover it with a big plate to cover the wok completely. Cook on low flame for and hour and half. (Tips for baking link above)
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 25 mins. Once done check by inserting pin/toothpick in the center if it comes out clean then the sponge is ready.