Hey guys…today I am posting a recipe for delicious and yummy Dal (dish made of Lentils) which can be eaten with rice or paratha as main dish. The flavors of this dish are rich and aromatic and the texture is creamy. There are a various types of Dal which can be made using lentils, pulses and legumes. A very basic Dal you will find in every Indian household is one using split pigeon peas/toor. This recipe is made using mixture of Black Gram/Black Urad and Red kidney beans/Rajma. Lets try this yummy and easy dal recipe which you will surely love.
Black Gram (whole)/Black Urad- 200 gms
Red Kidney Beans/Rajma- 75 gms
Ginger and Garlic Paste- 2 tbsp
Onion finely chopped- 1/2 cup
Tomato paste- 1/2 cup
Cloves/Laung- 3-4 pieces
Cinnamon stick/Taj- 1/2 inch
Asafoetida/Hing- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder/Haldi- 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder- 2 tbsp
Coriander Powder- 1 tbsp
Cumin Powder- 1 tbsp
Garam Masala- 1 1/2 tbsp
Cream -2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Ghee/Clarified Butter- 1 tbsp
Coriander/Dhania for garnishing
Water for boiling
1) Soak the black gram and red kidney beans in lukewarm water for 6-7 hours
2) Boil the soaked black gram and red kidney beans mixture with enough water and salt for 15-20 mins.
3) In a pan add the ghee/clarified butter, cloves and cinnamon stick and let it crackle. Now add the hing, ginger and garlic paste and cook for sometime.
4) Now add the onion and saute till translucent. Once the onions have cooked add the tomato paste and cook for five minutes.
5) After five minutes the tomatoes will start to turn mushy. Now add the turmeric powder, coriander power, cumin powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, garam masala and salt and mix well. Allow to cook for another 10 minutes. After ten minutes the masala is ready and the oil starts to separate.
6) Mash the boiled black gram and kidney bean lightly.
7) Add the boiled black gram and kidney bean mixture to the masala prepared in step 5 and stir well. Add some water at this point to loosen the dal.
8) Add the cream and mix well. Add water again if required. Allow to boil for 5 mins.
9) Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander.