Hey guys! In this recipe I will be posting the method to make the basic dosa batter using this batter you can make dosa, uttapam, appam and idli also. If you use this batter to make idli you have to add teaspoon of eno or fruit salt or soda and for dosas just go ahead as it is. I have made the topping using cheese and chilly you can use this batter for making masala dosa or any other dosa variation you feel like or just apply some schezwan chutney or grated cheese to make cheese dosa or schezwan dosa or keep it plain and serve it with chutney for dinner or breakfast. So lets get cooking..
For Dosa batter:
Idli rice or Kolam rice – 3 cups
Urad Dal – 1 cup
Methi/Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
Flattened rice/Poha – 1/4 cup
Salt as per taste
For Cheese chilly topping:
Grated processed cheese – 200 grams
Capsicum (finely chopped) – 2 medium sized
Green Chillies (finely chopped) – 6 pieces
Coriander (finely chopped) – 1/4 cup
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Chilli Flakes – 2 tbsp
Butter – 1 tbsp per dosa
Oil for greasing
Salt as per taste
For Tomato chutney:
Tomatoes (roughly chopped) – 2 large
Onion (roughly chopped)- 1 large
Garlic – 5 to 6 cloves
Chana dal – 1 tbsp
Urad dal – 1 tbsp
Jeera/Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Whole red chilly – 2 pieces (de-seeded)
Water – 1 cup
Rai/Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1 inch (chopped)
Curry Leaves – 3 -4
For Dosa batter:
1) In a large vessel soak together the rice, urad dal, methi seeds and flattened rice/poha for atleast 7 hours or overnight.
2) After 7 hours grind the soaked mixture in a mixtur jar. It will be slightly coarse. Let this batter rest and ferment for another 8-9 hours.
3) Just add some water and salt when ready to use to make the batter little loose for dosa and if making idli just add in the eno or soda bi carb.
For cheese chilly topping:
In a bowl mix together the capsicum, green chillies, coriander, red chilli powder, chilli flakes and salt. Keep the grated cheese seperately.
For tomato chutney:
In a pan take 1 tbsp oil. Add in 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds and let it splutter. Now add in the chana dal, urad dal, whole red chillies, tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves and ginger. Add in the water and let all of this cook till the tomatoes become tender. Let it cool then grind it into a smooth paste. Take the remaining 1 tbsp oil let it become war. Add in the jeera, rai and curry leaves and let it splutter. Once done pour it over the chutney and cover the chutney.
For making the dosa:
1) Take a non stick tawa and wipe it clean. Now pour the dosa batter using a laddle and grease it from all sides using oil or ghee. Let the lower side cook on medium flame.
2) On the upper side add 1 tbsp butter and add to it some of the cheese chilly topping and spread it on the entire dosa. let the topping cook in the butter.
3) Once the lower side starts to turn brown (should be done in a minute or so) add the grated cheese all over the topping. Sprinkle some red chilli powder and garnish with coriander.
4) Serve the dosa immediately with green chutney or tomato chutney.
I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa.
I am a lawyer by profession but love to cook. Being a foodie myself I keep trying variations with my recipes. My blog is all about my experiments and experience with food. You can follow me on instagram, twitter and facebook all having handles alawyerskitchen. I am also on the food reviewer panel with GoToChef, which is the perfect platform to check out reviews on various food products and also find recipes using the same. You can also find me on blogchatter https://www.theblogchatter.com/user/shailparekhthosani
and pinterest https://in.pinterest.com/alawyerskitchen2018/