Hey guys! I tried my hand at whole wheat pizza and it was not easy. Wheat being dense does not yield the same result as All purpose flour or Maida and that too without using yeast. But I had to try it and that too for my favorite pizza recipe. I have also not used the oven have made in it a kadhai and yes the base was a bit dense but I loved it. I personally felt thin crust would work better for whole wheat. It takes some time to get used to the taste of whole wheat breads or pizzas but I loved it. As wheat is a bit tricky to work with and get used to the taste I would recommend making just one small pizza first and if you love it then you can start with using it regularly. So lets get baking..
For the dough:
Wheat flour (sieved) – 1 1/2 cups
Additional Flour – 4 tbsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Curd – 4 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 1/4 tsp
Luke warm water – 1 tbsp
For the toppings:
Red Bell Pepper – 1 medium
Yellow Bell Pepper – 1 medium
Capsicum – 1 medium
Boiled corn kernels – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium
Paneer (crumbled) – 1/2 cup
Grated cheese (mozzarella/processed) – 1 cup
Pizza Sauce – 2 tbsp
Pizza seasoning/Italian seasoning or plain chilli flakes and oregano – 2 tbsp
Oil for greasing
1) In a bowl take the wheat flour and mix in the salt. Now make a well in between and add the curd. In the curd add the baking powder, baking soda and sugar and mix it a little. Now slowly incorporate this curd into the wheat flour and mix it well. Now add the lukewarm water and knead it into a soft dough. The dough will be a bit sticky. Add some oil over the dough (around 1 tsp) and cover and keep aside for 15 minutes.
2) After 15 minutes knead the dough by adding oil to it little by little alongwith additional flour and make it smooth. Tuck the sides and make it into a ball.
3) Take a deep bottom pan/kadhai and place a stand in it. Cover the kadhai and let it heat for 5 minutes on high flame.
4) Meanwhile grease the baking tray or cake tray with oil (rectangle or round whichever you have). Roll the pizza dough into a small disc. And then place in the baking tray and spread it further using your fingers so that it fills the tray completely from all sides.
5) Now apply the pizza sauce on the base and add the toppings. Then add the grated cheese on top and sprinkle with seasoning.
6) Place this tray in the kadhai after 5 minutes and make the flame medium and bake the pizza for 15-20 minutes on medium flame.
7) Serve hot.
Leave a Reply