Hey guys!!! On reading the title you might have the misconception that I have prepared an Omelette using eggs but no this is a purely vegetarian omelette which is a famous street food in Mumbai. It is served piping hot with green pudina chutney and sauce. I have made the sandwich version of this famous street food which tastes even better. I have used brown bread in this recipe you can use white bread also but I prefer brown bread as it is more crispy on grilling. It is perfect as an evening snack or as breakfast. A perfectly vegetarian version of omelette and tastes really good. So a shout out for the eggetarians and vegetarians to try out this recipe for sure.
Besan/Gram Flour – 1 cup
Powdered Oats- 1/2 cup
Tomato puree- 1/4 cup
Turmeric- 1 tsp
Ginger-Garlic-Green Chilli Paste- 2 tbsp
Onions (finely chopped)- 1/4 cup
Garam Masala (optional)- 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Black Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)- 1/4 cup
Cucumber – 1 medium (sliced)
Tomato – 1 medium (sliced)
Onion – 1 medium (sliced)
Brown Bread – 4 pieces
Processed Cheese/Mozzarella Cheese (grated) – 1 cup
Schezwan Sauce – 4 tbsp
Water as required
Oil as required
Butter- 4 tbsp
1. In bowl take the gram flour, oats powder, salt, turmeric, garam masala, black pepper powder, ginger-garlic-green chille paste, onions, coriander leaves, tomato puree and mix well. Now add water slowly and keep mixing to make the batter. The batter should be of pouring consistency it should not be too loose.
2. Let this batter rest for 10 mins.
3. Take a non stick gridle/tawa. Grease it with 1 tsp oil.
4. After 10 mins pour a laddle of the batter on the tawa and make a round shape omelette which should be little thick. Cook on both sides on medium heat. Make omelettes of all the batter. Roughly 3-4 omelettes can be made using this recipe.
5. Take a grill pan for the sandwich. For assembling the sandwich take two slices of brown bread. Apply 1 tbsp of the schezwan sauce on both the slices. Place the tomato omelette as prepared on one bread. Now add 2-3 pieces of sliced, cucumber, onion and tomato and add the grated cheese generously on top and cover with the other slice. Apply butter on both the sides of the bread and grill it till crispy. Make similar sandwiches with all the omelettes.
6. Serve hot with chutney or sauce.
For making Schezwan Sauce at home follow my link below:
Leave a Reply