Hi friends..Rasgulla/Rosogulla is one of the famous bengali sweets. Its basically paneer/cottage cheese/chenna balls in sugar syrup. Its tastes divine and yummy and is the perfect dessert dish or as a sweet dish with your lunch. Making rasgulla is very easy and can be made with simple ingredients at home. It is full of calories but sometimes indulging in few calories is essential for a mood lift. Indulge in this yummy affair once a while and you will fall in love with the simplicity of this bengali dish. Lets check out the ingredients and method.
Milk- 1 liter
Vinegar- 1 tbsp or Lemon Juice- 2 tbsp
Baking Powder- 1 tsp
For Sugar Syrup:
Water- 1 liter
Sugar – 1 and 1/2 cup
Milk – 2 tbsp
Elaichi/ Cardamom Powder- 1 tsp
1) Add milk in a heavy bottom pan/vessel and bring to boil while stirring continuously on medium flame. It is necessary to stir so that the milk does not stick to the bottom.
2) Once the milk starts boiling add the vinegar/lemon juice and take off the gas. Stir continuously the milk will start to curdle. In few minutes the milk will have completely curdled. If required add some more lemon juice. This is chenna/paneer.
3) Pour the curdled milk through a sieve and wash the paneer/chenna.
4) Tie this paneer/chenna in a muslin cloth for 15-20 mins. The paneer/chenna should not be tied for too long as moisture is not to be drained completely.
5) Take this paneer/chenna on a flat surface and start kneading. Knead gently with finger and palm. Add the baking powder after 5 mins of kneading. Keep kneading till it forms into a dough. The chenna/paneer will start losing oil. Make small ball out of this dough if there are no cracks the dough is ready.
6) Make 15-20 small balls out of this dough. Do not make big balls as they will swell in size in the syrup.
7) Cover the balls with a wet cloth and keep aside for 10 mins.
For Sugar Syrup:
1) In a broad heavy bottom vessel add the water and sugar and bring it to boil on high flame.
2) Once the water starts boiling add the milk. On adding the milk all the impurities of the water will float on top. Remove these using a sieve.
3) In this boiling water add the cardamom/elaichi powder. Now gently add the chenna/paneer balls.
4) The flame should constantly be at high. Cover the vessel and let the chenna/paneer balls cook for 15 mins.
5) After 15 mins the size of the chenna/paneer balls will have doubled. Switch of the gas and remove the balls from the syrup and put in a bowl of chilled water for 5 mins. After 5 mins squeeze the chenna/paneer balls and add again in the sugar syrup.
6) Keep in fridge and let it chill. Serve chilled.