Hii!! This is my first attempt at blogging and therefore request all to forgive my mistakes. I am a lawyer by profession but it is my passion to cook and experiment with different tastes and cuisines. I started with simple day to day recipes and realised how much I loved to cook. I juggle my passion with my office working hours. Today I am posting a recipe which the simplest yet the most loved sweet dish in any Gujrati family called “Sheera”. It is made of Rava (Sooji) and just melts in your mouth. This dish can be eaten as side sweet dish with lunch or as breakfast. This dish has many different recipes but this one is my Mother’s Recipe and trust me it is yummy.
Rava- 1 Cup
Ghee- 1/4 Cup
Sugar- 3/4 Cup
Milk- 2 Cups
Cardamom Powder- 1 Tbsp
Dry Fruits roughly chopped- 1/4 Cup
- In a heavy bottom wok heat ghee. Once the ghee is heated add the Rava and stir fry it on medium flame till the colour of the Rava becomes light golden. Be careful not to burn the rava you have to constantly stir it. If trying for first time keep the flame on low.
- While the rava is getting ready heat the milk. It should be lukewarm and not boiling.
- Once the rava is light golden turn off the gas and add the lukewarm milk and cardamom powder to it and switch on the gas. Stir the milk and the rava and mix them well. Keep the gas on low flame at this stage. The rava will soak all the milk and it will become thick.
- Now add the sugar and mix well. Remember the flame should be low. Once the sugar dissolves the rava will take a dough like consistency. Initially when you add the sugar the rava will become loose hence it is necessary to keep the flame low so that the sugar does not form a syrup consistency.
- Now add the dry fruits and switch off the gas. The Rava will stop sticking to the sides of your wok. Sheera is ready to serve. You can serve it warm or chilled in bowl. Garnish with some strands of Kesar and more dry fruits.
I am a lawyer by profession but love to cook. Being a foodie myself I keep trying variations with my recipes. My blog is all about my experiments and experience with food. You can follow me on instagram, twitter and facebook all having handles alawyerskitchen. I am also on the food reviewer panel with GoToChef, which is the perfect platform to check out reviews on various food products and also find recipes using the same. You can also find me on blogchatter https://www.theblogchatter.com/user/shailparekhthosani
and pinterest https://in.pinterest.com/alawyerskitchen2018/