Hello! Galouti Kebab is traditionally made using meat but being a vegetarian I am using rajma for making these kebabs. The basic idea behind these kebabs is they should melt in the mouth on eating. They are served hot, direct from the pan. The method is slightly tedious but they taste amazing. So lets get cooking…
1/2 tbsp coriander seeds/Dhania
1 black cardamom/Kali Elaichi
2-3 strands of mace/ Gada
1 star anise/ Chakraphul
3 green cardamom/ Hari Elaichi
1 inch cinnamon stick
4 cloves/ Laung
1/2 tsp peppercorns/ Black Pepper
1 tsp cumin seeds/ Jeera
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder/ Jaiphal
1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
2 tbsp dried rose petals
1 and 1/2 cups Rajma/Kidney beans
¼ cup Soyabean
2 tbsp Rose water
2 tbsp Kebab masala powder (prepared using the above ingredients)
2 tsp Ginger paste
2 tsp Garlic paste
1 tsp Green chilly paste
2 tbsp roasted besan flour
1 tbsp Lemon juice
Salt as per taste
Coal and ghee
For Kebab Masala:
Dry roast all the ingredients as mentioned above (except dried rose petals). Cool them and grind them together with the rose petal. Keep aside to use.
1) Soak the rajma overnight or atleast for 7 hours.
2) After 7 hours cook the rajma in the pressure cooker till they are absolutely soft. For this kebab you need very soft rajma hence if it is little overcooked then also will do.
3) Strain the rajma if any water remains in the cooker. Spread the rajma and keep aside for a while. IN the meantime boil one cup of water. Once it boils add the soyabean and switch off the gas and let the soyabean cook in the water for 10 minutes.
4) After 10 minutes strain the soyabean. Now, grind the rajma and soyabean together in a mixture grinder till it becomes smooth. Do not use water. If required add 1-2 tbsp of water only or else the kebab mixture will become too runny.
5) Take this mixture of rajma and soyabean in a bowl and using the hand mix it well together (whisk it with hand lightly, do not use spatula or beater) this will make it fluffy. To this add the kebab masala powder as prepared above, rose water, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chilly paste, roasted besan flour, lemon juice and salt and mix it well. The mixture will be little loose and sticky.
6) Activate the coal on gas. Place this in a small bowl/vati and drizzle with 1 tbsp ghee. Place this vati immediately in the above prepared kebab mixture and cover it and keep it like this for 5 minutes. The favor of the smoke is very important element of this kebab.
7) After 5 minutes remove the cover and lightly mix the kebab mixture. Heat a non stick pan/tawa. Drizzle some oil/ghee in the tawa. Grease your hand with water. Take a small potion of the kebab mixture and make a small ball then flatten it between your palms. Make all the kebabs this way.
8) Shallow fry the kebab on the non stick tawa at medium flame and serve hot with dahi or pudina chutney. I have served it by mixing together the dahi and pudina chutney.
This blog post is part of the blog challenge ‘Blogaberry Dazzle’ hosted by Cindy D’Silva and Noor Anand Chawla in collaboration with Make a Wish Box.
Leave a Reply