Hey guys! Gulab jamun is an Indian dessert comprising of deep fried and sugar syrup soaked cottage cheese and mawa balls. This dessert is usually served as a sweet dish with lunch or as a dessert with some vanilla ice cream. I made this cake for my husband’s birthday as he loves gulab jamun. This cake is not your classic mousse cake I have done the filling of white choco mousse with thandai flavor and filled witht the delicious gulab jamuns, made with a twist, in between covered with white chocolate, giving it a marble effect. The taste is different and amazing. It is extremely yummy everyone loved it. So lets get baking…
All purpose flour/Maida – 250 gms
Sugar- 100 gms
Baking Powder- 1 tsp (heaped)
Baking Soda/Soda Bi Carb- 1/2 tsp (levelled)
Milk Powder – 1/2 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Curd- 150 gms
Lukewarm Milk – 1/2 cup (use only if required)
Vanilla Essence- 1 tsp
Salt – a pinch
For white chocolate ganache:
White chocolate – 100 gms
Amul fresh cream – 80 gms
For White Chocolate Mousse:
White chocolate ganache – 1 cup
Thandai essence – 1 tsp
Whipped cream – 2 cups
For gulab jamun:
Marie biscuits – 30 pieces
Milk powder – 3/4 cup
Milk – 1/4 cup
Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Water – 1 cup
Elaichi powder – 1/2 tsp
Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
For White chocolate covering:
White Chocolate – 200 gms
Fresh cream/ Dairy cream/ Amul cream – 250 gms
Neutral gel – 2 tbsp
Water – 2 tbsp
Thandai essence – 1 tsp
Colors (I have used gel color) – Red, Green, Yellow (of your choice)
Whipping cream – 300 ml
For soaking the cake:
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Water – 1 cup
1) Sieve the all purpose flour/Maida, milk powder and salt together. Keep aside.
2) In a mixing bowl mix the curd and sugar till the sugar dissolves.
3) Now mix the baking powder and baking soda in the curd and cover and keep aside for 2 mins till it rises.
4) Now add the all purpose flour/Maida, milk powder and salt mixture (as made in step 1) in batches in the curd mixture and keep mixing till there are no lumps. Now add the cocoa powder and oil and mix well.
5) The batter should be of pouring consistency and not to thick. If the batter feels thick add the milk 2-3 tbsp at a time and adjust the consistency.
6) Pre-heat oven for 5 minutes at 180 degrees. Dust round cake tin using flour and pour the batter in the tin. now bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees. Take care that the batter should not be more than half of the height of the tin. The batter should be half of the tin or less then half only then it will have space to rise properly.
7) Once done check by inserting pin/toothpick in the center if it comes out clean then the sponge is ready.
For White Chocolate Ganache:
In a microwave safe bowl mix together the white chocolate and cream and microwave in batches of 30-30 seconds till the chocolate melts and there are no lumps. Do this three time till the chocolate and cream mix well. Always remember that microwave for 30 secs at a time do not rush this process or else the chocolate will burn.
1) In a deep vessel add all the whipping cream. Remember the whipping cream should be chilled. You can use any brand whipping cream.
2) Start whipping the cream using electric beater. Initially start with speed 1 then go to maximum speed. Beat the cream till it form hard peaks. The entire time the cream is whipped it should be chilled. If it is summer season place the vessel in which you are whipping the cream in a wider vessel containing ice cubes and maintain the chilled temperature of the cream.
3) Once whipped the cream will double in volume .
White chocolate mousse filling:
Take together the white chocolate ganache, whipped cream, thandai essence and mix it well. Do not mix the whipped cream vigorously as it will become loose. Mix gently by using a spatula.
For gulab jamun:
1) Grind the marie biscuits in a powder. Sieve the marie biscuit powder, baking soda and milk powder together and mix it.
2) Knead a tight dough using milk and keep aside. Make small balls out of this (approximately 25 balls). Make very small balls as when you dip it in the sugar syrup they will bloat. Deep fry these balls, on medium flame, in oil till golden brown.
3) In a pan take the sugar and water and let it boil on medium flame till it thickens a bit. Boil for approximately 10-15 minutes. Add the elaichi powder to this syrup.
4) After 10-15 minutes the syrup will thicken. Take it off the gas and dip the fried balls in this syrup. Cover and keep aside. The balls will soak all the syrup completely.
For white chocolate covering:
Melt together the white chocolate and cream in a microwave or double boiler. Stir it till no lumps. Add the neutral gel, water and essence to this and mix it well.
1) Cut the cake horizontally in two halves.
2) Soak the lower layer with sugar syrup and add the white chocolate mousse on the lower half. Now cut the gulab jamuns as prepared above in two halves horizontally and press it in the cream. Add some more white chocolate mousse on top and sandwich by the other half of the cake. Repeat the same procedure for next layer. Cover the entire sponge from the outer side completely with whipped cream (not mousse cream).
3) Chill the cake for 2 hours in the fridge. After two hours take the cake out and place it on a stand (grill stand or siever stand, any stand with holes blow).
4) In the white chocolate covering add drops of colors as per your choice and using a toothpick or a knife just slightly mix it.Take care that the chocolate covering should be of pouring consistency. If you feel it has thickened you can microwave it again for 10 seconds.
5) Pour this white chocolate covering all over the cake until it completely covers the cake. Wipe off the lower edge once it stops dripping and set again in the fridge for 6-7 hours. Serve chilled.
I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa.
I am a lawyer by profession but love to cook. Being a foodie myself I keep trying variations with my recipes. My blog is all about my experiments and experience with food. You can follow me on instagram, twitter and facebook all having handles alawyerskitchen. I am also on the food reviewer panel with GoToChef, which is the perfect platform to check out reviews on various food products and also find recipes using the same. You can also find me on blogchatter https://www.theblogchatter.com/user/shailparekhthosani
and pinterest https://in.pinterest.com/alawyerskitchen2018/