Hey guys!! Quesadilla is basically a Mexican dish made with tortillas and corn, cheese or vegetable filling . Tortillas are normally made using maize flour. I have made an Indian version of tortilla and the filling is potato and soyabean. The taste of tortillas is somewhat like what we make as parathas with the difference being in how the dough is made and in stuffed parathas we normally put the stuffing in between and roll out the dough in this you add the stuffing in the cooked tortilla and just fold it (like a frankie). Serve the quesadillas hot with salsa sauce or mayonnaise dip. It can be eaten as starter or side dish or you can make it for parties and impress your guests with this simple yet delicious recipe. The only pre-preparation required is boiling the potatoes, soyabean and making the dough. Too simple and can be made with simple ingredients. So lets get cooking…
Maida/All purpose flour – 1 cup
Wheat Flour – 1 cup
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Water – 1 1/4 cups
Salt as per taste
Soyabean chunks – 1 cup
Potato (boiled) – 2 large
Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
Green Chilly (finely chopped) – 2 pieces
Black Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Chilli Flakes – 2 tsp
Mixed Herbs – 1 tbsp
Mozzarella Cheese (Grated) – 1/2 cup
Carrots (finely chopped) – 1/2 cup
Capsicum (finely chopped) – 1 large
Hot water – for soaking the soyabean chunks (approx 2 cups)
Salt as per taste
Oil for brushing
1) In a big bowl sieve both the flours and mix in the salt and baking powder. Now add the oil and mix it in.
2) Add the water little by little and knead to form a soft dough. knead for atleast 10 minutes till it becomes smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside for 30 minutes.
3) After 30 minutes make small balls out of the dough (approximately 7 -8). Roll out the balls into thin round discs of around 7-8 inches.
1) Cover and soak the soyabean chunks in hot water for 15 minutes (do not boil them in it). Once they soften and puff up strain the water and remove all the excess water from the chinks by squeezing them.
2) In a grinder grind the soak soyabean chunks (without water).
3) In a big bowl mash the boiled potatoes and add the grind soyabean to it. Add in the ginger-garlic paste, chillies, capsicum, carrots, chilli flakes, mixed herbs and salt. Mix it all well together. Lastly add the cheese and mix it using a spoon or spatula.
1) Take one tortilla and cook it in a non stick tawa/skillet from one side completely. Half cook the other side.
2) Add the filling on to one half of the cooked side and fold over the empty side of the tortilla to enclose the fillings (forming a semi circle). Quickly brush the top of the quesadilla with a light coating of oil, then carefully flip it with a spatula. Coat the other side also with oil and cook till small brown spots appear.
3) Once cooked serve hot with salsa sauce or dip of choice.