Hey all!! The recipe I am posting today is Sevaiyan/Vermicelli Kheer which is a sweet dish. You can have it as an accompaniment with your main course which is the way we normally have it or you can have it as dessert. I have it chilled but you can have this kheer warm also. It is very simple and easy to make it and it is so yummy your wont be able to stop at one bowl. The most important ingredient of this dish are the dry fruits you have to make sure you use dry fruits generously. Also the sevaiyan soaks up the milk hence the measurement used by me is keeping that in mind. So lets get eating…
Milk- 1 1/2 liters
Vermicelli/Sevaiyan – 1 cup
Ghee/Clarified Butter – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 1 cup
Milk Powder- 2 tbsp
Rose Water – 2 tbsp
Kesar Strands- a few
Elaichi/Cardamom Powder- 2 tsp
Chopped mixed nuts (Almonds, Cashew and Pistachios) – 1 cup
1) In a pan take ghee and let it become warm and roast the vermicelli/sevaiyan till golden brown. Keep aside.
2) In a deep bottomed wide pan (make sure to use a wide pan so that it is easier to stir the milk and the milk does not stick to the bottom) take the milk and let it come to one boil on high flame.
3) Now add the kesar strands and elaichi powder and stir well. Lower the flame to medium at this stage.
4) Let the milk boil on medium flame for 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between. Also a layer of cream/malai will form on top stir that also to incorporate with the milk. Meanwhile in a small bowl take the milk powder and 1/4 cup of milk from the boiling milk and mix well till no lumps.
5) After 10 minutes add the milk powder mixture and mix well again. Now add the roasted vermicelli/sevaiyan, sugar and chopped nuts. Cook the roasted vermicelli/sevaiyan in the milk for 10 minutes till it becomes soft.
5) Turn of the flame and add the rose water last. Let the milk cool down to room temperature and keep it in the fridge to chill. Serve chilled or hot immediately as you like.
I am a lawyer by profession but love to cook. Being a foodie myself I keep trying variations with my recipes. My blog is all about my experiments and experience with food. You can follow me on instagram, twitter and facebook all having handles alawyerskitchen. I am also on the food reviewer panel with GoToChef, which is the perfect platform to check out reviews on various food products and also find recipes using the same. You can also find me on blogchatter https://www.theblogchatter.com/user/shailparekhthosani
and pinterest https://in.pinterest.com/alawyerskitchen2018/