Hi all!! The season of one of my favorite fruits is here “Watermelon”. I just love watermelons. They are perfect for summers juicy full of water and sweet. We all have the red portion of the fruit and throw away the white portion. Here is a recipe to use the white portion of the watermelon and hence no wastage of the fruit. Tutti Frutti is loved by kids. You can use tutti frutti in cakes, ice-cream, cookies, breads or just have them as it is. The recipe is very simple and you can store these in an airtight container in fridge for upto a month. Lets get cooking then…
Watermelon white rind – 1 watermelon
Water – 500 ml (for boiling)
Water – 500 ml (for sugar syrup)
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Edible food color of choice
1) Peel the skin off the white rind of the watermelon. Chop the white rind into small pieces.
2) Boil these chopped pieces in 500 ml water till they become soft and discolored.
3) In the meantime prepare the sugar syrup. Take the sugar and water in a pan and boil till the sugar dissolves.
4) Once the watermelon is boiled and take them out and put it in the sugar syrup. Divide the watermelon in two or three parts and add in the food color.
5) Let these rest in the syrup for and hour or so. The watermelon will absorb all the color and the sweetness of the syrup. Afterwards drain out the remaining syrup and let the watermelon dry for an hour or two.
6) The tutti frutti is ready to use. Store in an airtight container and keep in fridge for storing. Use as required.
I have used this homemade tutti frutti in my tutti frutti bread recipe. For recipe of the bread click on the link below: