Hi!!! September is the month of birthdays at my place and birthday means cake for me. Since childhood I have associated birthday with cake no matter what your age if its your birthday you have to eat a cake. I have carried this tradition with me even after marriage and even more since I love baking I have made it a point to celebrate every members birthday with my home baked cake. My family now enjoys my home baked cakes even better than outside cakes (though I feel that is out of love they have for me as I still have lots to learn in cake baking). Butterscotch flavor is loved by most of my family members. So this time I decided to make butterscotch cake with homemade Butterscotch Sauce. It turned out to be really delicious and everyone loved it. So lets check out the recipe.
All purpose flour/Maida – 200 gms
Cornflour/Cornstarch- 2 tbsp
Sugar- 100 gms
Baking Powder- 2 tsp
Baking Soda/Soda Bi Carb- 1 tsp
Milk – 1 1/2 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup
Vanilla Essence- 1 tsp
Salt – a pinch
Whipping Cream – 200 gms
Butterscotch Essence- 2 tsp
For Butterscotch Sauce:
Sugar – 1 cup
Butter at room temperature- 1/2 cup
Dairy cream/Amul Cream at room temperature- 1 cup
Milk at room temperature- 2 tbsp
Flour for dusting
1) Sieve the all purpose flour/Maida, baking powder, baking soda/soda bi carb, cornstarch/cornflour and salt together. Mix well.
2) In a mixing bowl mix the milk and sugar till the sugar dissolves.
3) Now add the dry ingredients in the milk in batches and keep mixing till there are no lumps. Now add the vanilla essence and oil and mix well.
4) The batter should be of pouring consistency and not to thick.
5) Pre-heat oven for 5 minutes at 160 degrees.
6) Dust round cake tin using flour and pour the batter in the tin. now bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes at 160 degrees. Take care that the batter should not be more than half of the height of the tin. The batter should be half of the tin or less then half only then it will have space to rise properly.
8) Once done check by inserting pin/toothpick in the center if it comes out clean then the sponge is ready.
1) In a deep vessel add the whipping cream. Remember the whipping cream should be chilled. You can use any brand whipping cream.
2) Start whipping the cream using electric beater. Initially start with speed 1 then go to maximum speed. Beat the cream till it form hard peaks. The entire time the cream is whipped it should be chilled. If it is summer season place the vessel in which you are whipping the cream in a wider vessel containing ice cubes and maintain the chilled temperature of the cream.
3) Once whipped the cream will double in volume.
4) In the whipped cream add butterscotch essence and mix it. Do not mix the whipped cream vigorously as it will become loose. Mix gently by using a spatula.
For Butterscotch Sauce:
1) In a heavy bottom non stick pan take the sugar and let it melt on slow flame. Once it starts melting take it off the gas and add the butter, cream and milk and mix properly. The flame should be constantly on low so that the sugar does not burn. Take of the flame and mix for sometime till it cools down to room temperature. you can store this sauce for upto a month in an air tight bottle in fridge.
1) Cut the cake horizontally in two halves.
2) Soak the sponge with water and butterscotch sauce made as above. Apply whipped cream one layer and again pour some butterscotch sauce, butterscotch crispies, and chopped cherries and sandwich by one more layer of cream and place other half of cake on top. Cover the entire sponge from the outer side completely with whipped butterscotch cream using palette knife and keep in fridge for 15 mins.
3) After 15 mins pour the remaining butterscotch sauce on the cake top evenly. If the sauce has hardened microwave for 10 seconds.Once the cake top has been evenly coated decorate as desired.
5) Leave the cake in the fridge for atleast an hour for setting. Serve chilled.
I am taking my Alexa Rank to next level by participating in #MyFriendAlexa by blogchatter.