Hello guys! Bhapa doi is popular bengali sweet made with hung curd which is steamed. There is a common confusion between Bhapa Doi and Mishti Doi wherein Bhapa doi is steamed yogurt made using condensed milk and Mishti Doi is another version of sweetened curd (wherein it is set sweet) and not steamed. It is very simple recipe to make and hassle free. The ingredients required are very basic and you can make it easily if you have guests coming over. The basic version has only nuts and kesar in it I have given it a little different flavor with bit crunchies in it to make it more appealing visually and specially kids will love it. Just make it and set in the fridge and serve chilled.
Curd/Dahi – 1 kg
Condensed Milk – 400 grams
Milk – 1/4 cup
Jelly candy (chopped) (Orange, Yellow, Green) – 1 cup
Chocolate Chips – 1/4 cup
Chopped nuts ( Almonds and Pistachios) – 1 cup
Chocolate chips – 1 tbsp
Kesar strands – a few
Ghee/Oil for greasing
1) Tie up the curd in a muslin cloth and hang it for 2 hours (if possible 5-6 hours). Once all the water has drained from the curd take it in a bowl.
2) Add in the condensed milk, milk and kesar strands and whisk it all together. Now add in the chopped jelly candy, chocolate chips (1/4 cup) and nuts (reserve a few for garnishing).
3) Take small bowls/katori/aluminum moulds/ ceramic moulds. Grease it with ghee/oil and pour in the curd mixture. Cover these moulds with aluminum foil.
4) Steam this curd mixture in steamer for 15 minutes on medium flame. Let the steamer cool down then open and take out the moulds. Remove the aluminum foils and let the curd mixture come to room temperature.
5) Once it is on room temperature set it in the fridge for 10 minutes. Serve chilled and garnished with a few jelly candies, chocolate chips and chopped nuts.