Hey guys! If you do not like cream cakes and want to try out an easy tea time cake, you should definitely try out this recipe. This cake is made using rava/semolina. I have posted a basic rava cake recipe before, in this recipe I have used mangoes as it is the season and mangoes add a very nice flavor to this cake. I have not added tutti frutti to this cake and have used chopped nuts. You can add tutti frutti also. So lets get baking…
Rava/Semolina – 2 cups
Wheat Flour – 1/4 cup
Powdered sugar – 1 cup
Curd – 1 cup
Baking Powder – 1 & 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Refined Oil – 2 tbsp
Alphonso Mangoes – 2
Milk – 1/2 cup
Vanilla Essence – 1/4 tsp
Chopped Nuts (almonds, cashews and pistachios) – 1 cup
Apple (finely chopped) – 1 small
1. In a bowl take the curd and add the powdered sugar to this. Mix it well till it has dissolved. Now add the baking powder and baking soda and mix it. Cover the bowl and let it rest for a few minutes.
2. After a few minutes add the rava and wheat flour in the curd mixture and mix it well. Now add 1/4 cup milk to this and mix it well. Cover and let the batter rest for 10 minutes.
3. In the meanwhile make puree of the alphonso pulp. After ten minutes check the batter it will have become thick. Now add the alphonso puree to this and the remaining milk and mix it well. The batter will be of pouring consistency
4. Now add the vanilla essence and half of the chopped nuts to this batter. Grease a round 7 inch tin with oil and dust it with flour. Pour the batter in the tin. Top it with the remaining nuts and apple.
5. Take a huge kadhai/deep bottomed pan and place a ring at the bottom. Cover the kadhai and let it pre heat for 5 minutes on low flame.
6. Now place the cake batter tin the kadhai and cover and bake the cake on low flame for 45-50 minutes. If baking in oven, bake it at 180 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes.
7. After 45 minutes check by inserting knife, if it comes out clean the cake is ready. Take it out and let it cool completely before de-moulding.
I am a lawyer by profession but love to cook. Being a foodie myself I keep trying variations with my recipes. My blog is all about my experiments and experience with food. You can follow me on instagram, twitter and facebook all having handles alawyerskitchen. I am also on the food reviewer panel with GoToChef, which is the perfect platform to check out reviews on various food products and also find recipes using the same. You can also find me on blogchatter https://www.theblogchatter.com/user/shailparekhthosani
and pinterest https://in.pinterest.com/alawyerskitchen2018/