The Decade of food journey

” Zindagi ek safar hai suhana yaha kal kya ho kisne jana”…

The past decade has taught me that changes are a part of life and welcoming them with a positive attitude helps a lot. I learnt to find positivity in small moments of life and rather than cribbing for the things not happening I learnt to appreciate and welcome the changes in my life. One such biggest change that happened was my love for cooking.

A little glimpse in who I was before the decade began:

I was a science student and wanted to be a veterinary doctor after clearing my entrance exams I joined law which was a shocker to myself and many others. I was a gangly girl (literally just 45 to 48 kgs) when I joined the law college. I was never interested in cooking or entering the kitchen and never thought that I ever would. All I thought about was clearing my exams and do justice to my change of career choice.

Enter “the Decade” :

Now lets get to the theme of this #DecadeHop.

The start of decade already saw three years of dating my boyfriend (now my husband). Initially, we took time to know each other and on my part to understand what he liked and disliked. It was during this period and the start of this decade that I started learning how to cook. The major reason for me entering the kitchen was my husband (then my boyfriend)  he is a foodie at heart. I realized soon enough that the way to his heart is through his stomach. Initially I learned just the basics of cooking from my mom. While learning the basics I started to realize that I actually loved cooking and started experimenting with the flavors. Just small changes that I would try with the regular vegetables and dals that my mom cooked. Soon I started getting compliments from my parents which further encouraged me.

2010 saw a major change in food industry and encouraged many home chefs to pursue their passion as the first season of Masterchef India was aired. I still remember I watched every episode with new found fervor and enthusiasm and noted down every recipe tried. It was a new experience for me seeing such new dishes tried that I never even knew existed. This was when I started watching videos and noted recipes which I would then try at home. It was around 2012 that I considered learning baking and cooking professionally. I joined various classes and widened my horizons professionally. I started accepting orders for baking which encouraged me further.

What is your idea of date with your boyfriend? A romantic dinner, a walk under the moonlight or a romantic gateway. For us the idea of date got converted into dinner dates at my home where I would cook three to four course meals for us and experiment on my poor unsuspecting guinea pig (that is what I call my husband lovingly). Cooking had now become my stress buster and my passion. I could not imagine a day without entering into the kitchen and trying out new recipes. I soon started working full time after my graduation and hence struggled to balance my food passion and my work life during which my mother was my major support and my backbone I cannot imagine what my life would be if not her support in my cooking passion. I could not imagine my life without cooking and hence the weekends were my major experimenting days. For many it was difficult to comprehend this sudden change in me and often chastised me saying that why are you wasting your time in cooking when you have such a bright corporate career ahead of you. Even today it is difficult for me to explain how this passion of cooking has kept me afloat and out of bordering depression at tough times.

In 2014 after a bit of resistance and movie style drama I finally got married to my boyfriend after dating each other for 8 years. Marriage bought another wave of changes for me as I now had to take over a lot more responsibilities than before. My passion for cooking kept growing stronger after marriage as my husband encouraged me to think about starting my blog to further pursue my passion and reach out to the masses. Finally after a lot of contemplation and self doubt I started my baby “alawyerskitchen” my blog in 2018. Initially it was a very slow journey for me I was still grasping on how to keep my blog afloat with new posts, food photography (which was alien to me), big fat terms of SEO and Alexa rank where equally puzzling. I hardly had any audience and almost gave up on my blog but my blog had turned into my addiction which pushed me to learn new recipes and innovate the old ones. It took almost a year for me to even be recognized on the alexa scale and slowly my blog gained audience. Though my blog is still a baby being just 2 years old it has given my life a new purpose. I am still working full time and at the same time managing my blog. The happiness and exhilaration I get at every new post being posted is something I cannot describe in words.

I have changed a lot in the past decade from being a gangly girl to an over sized girl I was ridiculed often. I even started a healthy dieting course and even during that period I experimented with diet food and cooked a new item each day which complimented my diet requirements. I am still plus sized but happy at heart and very thankful to the past decade which gave me my passion for life my cooking and my blog. Hoping to self host my website in the new decade alongwith trying my hand at my own youtube channel and hopefully publishing my own cook book.

“This post is a part of ‘DECADE Blog Hop’ #DecadeHop organized by #RRxMM Rashi Roy and Manas Mukul. The Event is sponsored by Glo and co-sponsored by Beyond The Box, Wedding Clap, The Colaba Store and Sanity Daily in association with authors Piyusha Vir and Richa S Mukherjee”

133 Comments Add yours

1. Awesome..even I love cooking,and I learnt cooking after marriage through various recipe books .. please send me your cookery blog link so that I can follow..I too have a WordPress blog for cookery just for my satisfaction I do,not taken it very seriously.

1. shail says:

Hey Pallavi thank you so much. This is my cookery blog this is the first time I have posted somthing other than a recipe here. You can follow me on insta and twitter also for the same.

2. I was wondering about name of your blog, I was even thinking you might be giving legal solutions and all thanks to you now I know why. I also learnt cooking post marriage with trial and error method.

1. shail says:

I had to justify my profession and passion hence the name. Thanks for reading my post.

3. Wishing you all the success in your endeavours. I too am a lawyer, yet my main focus is to pursue a career in writing. Your passion for cooking was reflected strongly in your post.

Thank u so much!!

2. shravmusings says:

Wow, I was just thinking today morning only as to why no one has written about the changes in Food Industry and here comes your post.
    You captured all the changes beautifully

1. shail says:

Thank u so much. I think more than food industry food changed my life. 🙂🙂🙂

3. Sivaranjini Anandan says:

Wow yar loved the part when you said the way to heart is through the stomach and your proud that your hubby for the reason for your passion that was super sweet to hear. 😊good luck to you.

Thank u so much..🙂🙂

4. Arushi says:

It was really nice to read your journey where you found you two passions; cooking and blogging. When you love the work you do, you are bound to be happy. I think the credit for both your loves goes to the love of your life or as you fondly call him your guinea pig. Wishing you a great decade ahead, full of happiness and success.

1. shail says:

Thanks a lot!! Wish you the same..

2. Priyal says:

It’s nice to read your story, in fact, I too love cooking and the master chef was always my inspiration which led me from a home chef to an amazing food chef at home, especially in baking & making innovative dishes.
      Wish you all the best for this decade

1. shail says:

Thank u so much for your wishes!!

5. Am impressed by the fact that you nurtured your hobby to satify your soul..Our career is one thing but what we do to keep ourselves happy is another thing.. Will definitely explore your blog..Best wishes for a wonderful future…

1. shail says:

Thank u so much for such kind words..

Liked by 1 person

6. I am not a kitchen-friendly person. I leave cooking and kitchen for husband.
    On the other note, I admire you for mastering cooking while you earlier had no affinity towards it. Things we do in love. LAter followed by passion. Husband also loves watching MasterChef.

1. shail says:

It started for my love but now this has become my love. Thank u so much for reading.

1. It was a pleasure to read.

7. Srivalli says:

Loved your post. Cooking is something that helps me relax. My love for experimentation has its share of disasters but that’s fun too. It’s best to ignore those who don’t understand why we like cooking. Many look at it as a chore (though cleaning up is a chore ).
    Best wishes in taking the blog to new heights and starting the YouTube channel. Go for it! 😀

1. shail says:

Thank u so much!! Cleaning up is also am obsession for me actually. Specially after cooking my counter has to stay clean.

8. Piya Gajbe says:

Cooking is a stress – buster for me too. And being a lawyer myself, I could so much relate with your post. So proud that you developed the hobby of cooking so beautifully. Keep reinventing yourself, Best wishes!

Thank u so much!!

1. deepsreflections says:

Loved reading your post and how you found your passion in food. And the best part is you added on to it by taking courses and writing a blog. Beautiful journey and hope you keep cooking and keep writing, hopefully we’ll see you as the MasterChef some day.
        Much love
        Deepika

2. shail says:

Thank u so much. Fingers crossed!! Hopefully someday ill join in masterchef still I find myself too amateur to join such a huge platform so happy with my blogging.

9. hemasha says:

MasterChef.. that show has inspired many of my friends to cook more. 🙂 Your Instagram photos of food dishes are making me drool. Look so tempting. Pyar me tum kya se kya ban gayi! great. Loved your food journey.

1. shail says:

Haha thanks a lot dear love changes you..muje positive direction mil gayi..🙂🙂🙂

10. Ritu says:

Enjoyed reading about your journey, Shail. I love to cook as well (genes at work), it is a stressbuster for me too. If not a book blog, I would have probably launched a food blog too. It is great to reconnect through the blog hop.

1. shail says:

Thanks a lot. Its good to connect with you too…

11. Cooking is definitely a passion for a lot of my friends as I see it is for you, for me, the passion is eating 🙂 liked the way you traced your decade’s journey via cooking

1. shail says:

Haha I love cooking and eating both. Thank u so much..🙂🙂

12. soniadogra says:

Congratulations! I follow your blog regularly but not for myself. I also understand your journey because not me, but my husband is equally passionate about cooking. As you said, even for him it is a stress buster after a grilling day at work. I am always his assistant in the kitchen😊😊. So, I do pass on your recipes to him but I had no idea I would be meeting you in this blog hop. We are both very appreciative of your blog and I wish you all the best for the new decade!💐💐

1. shail says:

Thank you so much. I am humbled that you follow my recipes. Its nice to hear when great bloggers like you comment on my blog.

13. Jyoti Arora says:

Wow a tasty post.. your Guinea pig must be the happiest !!! Cookjng indeed is a stress buster !! Keep experimenting and good luck for your food book..

Thanks a lot…🙂🙂

14. Hey my favourite blogger, so happy to read you after a long time,
    I was off from blogging for 14months and with this blog hop I came back.

I cook only for my family – parents, bhai and sister in law.

Never had any moment where I had to cook for others or as they to impress someone with my culinary skills but no doubt they are very famous.

It is I am sure fun cooking for your husband. Wow you are coming up for a food book, please do keep me in mind I would love to have a read.

1. shail says:

Thank u so much Romila. The day I publish you will one of the firsts to know. Miss your Twitter tweets..

15. Wow what a journey from law to cookery. Quite inspiring ! Interesting to know how you started cooking and how it developed into a full fledged passion. Way to go.. keep going and achieving much more in the next decade ..all the best !

Thank u so much Anjali..

16. Priyanka Naik says:

A positively delicious post describing your journey of honing your culinary skills.

IMHO, the crux of any art/passion is the sheer dedication and interest you show towards it. Your passion for cooking was initiated and propelled by love itself. And if that does not guarantee success, what does! 🙂

Best wishes for your YouTube chanel.
    And may we hear news about the cook book soon.

1. shail says:

Thank u so much Priyanka for such kind words. Thank you for your wishes.

17. I’m a foodie myself, but never tried my luck at cooking. A decade of starting cooking and acing is no joke and your guinea pig, hahah was a lovely story. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your decades story and wish I could try some food myself too 😛
    Cheers to another decade and life with sumptuous memories.
    — rightpurchasing

18. Pr@Gun says:

Wow, that’s a tasty journey into the lawyer’s kitchen. Even I was like you in the corporate world working fulltime. knew only making tea and Maggi when marriage came on my charts, but today I can proudly say I’m a good host.
    I wish you luck for your youtube channel and book soon this year. You inst pics are really awesome and you are a great photographer too.

Thank u so much..🙂🙂

19. Harjeet Kaur says:

Science to Law school and revert to kitchen…loved your journey Shail and really happy that u find it therapeutic as well. Cooking is a stress buster for me too but my problem is I have no one to feed. Wishing u all the best in your food journey and may you fulfil all your cooking dreams in the coming decade.God Bless 🙂

Thank u so much Harjeet..🙂🙂

20. shivanisalil says:

Your post reminded me of the movie Julie and Julia. Do watch if you haven’t.
    Yours is such a different journey. From almost a vet to a lawyer to a food blogger. That’s quite something.
    Hope 2020 gives you the website and you tube presence that you aspire for

1. shail says:

Ohh is it!! I have not seen the movie but will check it out. Thank you for your wishes.

21. That’s quite a journey from being a lawyer to god blogger. Impressive indeed. I have the same story as i learned cooking only after meeting my boyfriend and within one year of datjng each other. Gradually i discovered my love for cooking but not regular food, i can spend hours to cook something new. So, i coukd see myself in your shoes too. I love your unique blog name too, you have carried both your professions 🙂 take your blog to another level and start vlogging and youtubing too. Good luck for this decade 🙂

Thank you so much..🙂🙂

22. Supriti says:

wow.. from a non-cook to being passionate about cooking is quite a transition. I must say love makes us do the impossible and u just did it for ur huby. But i am so happy that u found ur passion in cooking and ur hubby is encouraged u to start your blog. keep shining dear.

1. shail says:

Thank u so much..love indeed makes us do anything…😜😜😜

23. Meena says:

This post has made me hungry! 🙂 Your food journey is a tasty one. May you find tasty and new recipes to make and teach, Shail!

Meena from balconysunrise.wordpress.com

24. Swarnali Nath says:

I am not so kitchen friendly but still I love to cook in my spare times, and sometimes when my mom falls ill. Glad to know how master chief inspired you to cook more and you started your cooking blog finally. I wish you lick on your journey ahead. Cheers!

Thank u so much..🙂🙂

25. Dr. Surbhi Prapanna says:

Such an amazing journey Shail and I am really impressed with the fact that you had started from basics and then reached at the top with publishing a book and owning a youtube channel. wishing you lots of luck and success for new decade.

1. shail says:

26. Finally I got to know the reason behind the name ‘alawyerskitchen’!!! 😄😄 good one!
    And I am now dying to know the ‘movie like drama’ behind your marriage too!!
    You are one awesome lady Shail. Hitting so many googlies in just 10 years. From a vet to a lawyer to a foodie blogger!!! 😄😄 keep it up. I’ve hit the follow button. Hope to see you around!! 👍

1. shail says:

Thank u so much Radhika. Will have to write another decade post for my love drama!! 🤣🤣🤣.. safe to say we were happy it finally happened. Thanks for following…🙂🙂🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. I’ll be definitely waiting for that!!

27. Janaki says:

Shail, I follow you on Instagram so I regularly see your posts. How you make complex things sound so simple! Glad to read your story.
    Janaki (@beyond the familiar)

1. shail says:

Thank u so much. Thats what I aim at easy steps for people who follow..🙂🙂🙂

28. mahekg says:

Nothing can be as satisfying as doing what you love, I am glad you could follow your passion of cooking and blogging. All the Best for the next decade 🙂

Thank u so much..🙂🙂

29. Prerna Wahi says:

I always admire people who enjoy cooking. As for me, I just enjoy eating! Good luck for your cook book and may you come out with it very soon!

1. shail says:

Thank u so much for your wishes.

30. Archana says:

Universal truth, way towards husband’s heart is the only cooking, the strongness of your bond is quite evident when a science student with least interest in cooking has become a successful food blogger, Loved the flavors of your decade journey, I love your blogsite name “alawyerskitchen” found it very thoughtful.

31. Monika says:

Good to know your love for cooking . I am more into love of eating . I have tried baking cakes 3-4 times but failed everytime . Best wishes to you for your dream of cookbook .

1. shail says:

Thank u so much for your wishes!!

32. Deepika says:

Hi Shail! I am not an extraordinary cook because I didn’t bake and literraly afraid to try totally different for my family because they are very strict with their taste. Glad to read your journey from law to food industry. You never stopped learning and updated your knowledge through different cooking courses. Best wishes!

1. shail says:

Hi!! Thank u so much for your wishes! I am sure your family loves and appreciates what you cook for them.

2. shail says:

All that matters is you cook with love rest follows.

33. Pavi Raman says:

Being a lawyer maybe your profession, but being a chef/baker is absolutely your calling. As someone who studied for a different profession and finds joy in something else, I totally understand and admire your drive to follow your heart and do what makes you happy. Your journey is one of joy and success and I hope your cookbook becomes a bestseller. Much love and luck for the rest of the decade ❤ ❤

1. shail says:

Thank you so much dear food such a lovely comments!!!

Liked by 1 person

34. The decade has been one of change, accomplishment and responsibilities. But it has also been of self discovery. A journey well done. Still more to go! All the best – Rohit Verma

Thank you so much..

35. Shail – so nice to know you followed your passion! I don’t know many people who are food bloggers – I really relate to the fact that you found bliss in a field completely different to your profession!

Hey thank u so much!!

36. Geethica says:

Congratulations Shail on completing 2 successful years of blogging. I guess we need our passion to row through our writings and the audience grows. And yes, the old saying still holds true that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. During this process, we realize our talent too.
    Wish you loads of luck for your food blog

Thank you so much.🙂🙂

Liked by 1 person

37. A delicious journey. Baking and me are like head and takes, we will never meet. I have the worst case if sweet tooth and satisfy my sugary cravings with zomato and swiggy 😜 u r so inspiring me to bake. Hopefully one day I will.

1. shail says:

Thank u so much!! The day you bake do let me know..🙂🙂

38. Like you, my life too revolves around good food. I love to cook, I love to eat. Enjoyed your post.

Thanks a lot…🙂

39. jayanthi6 says:

Isn’t it amazing how we transform from a naive college girl to a totally different person as life pulls us along? I also was averse to a lot of things in college but am pulled to those very same things now…and I am still no good in cooking!! 😉 Loved reading your post..all good wishes for the future decade!!

40. Neha Sharma says:

Wow, what a beautiful and passionate food journey you have. Loved how you never let go of your passion even while working full time. I am a big foodie too and after finishing college I wanted to learn the art of cooking and baking. But I could never get the recipes right. Maybe because I was not passionate about it. Your food journey is amazing and I am sure it will inspire many people to take up their passion seriously. All the best for the new decade!

Thank u so much!!!

41. Debidutta Mohanty says:

Even I fell in love with cooking after marriage for my foodie husband. All the best for your upcoming cook book and YouTube channel.

1. shail says:

Thank u so much for your wishes!!

42. MeeraMayaa says:

There are few things we love and it’s only the time and situation that makes us to love that new element
    To me cooking was like, oh no it’s part of the syllabus.
    It’s the joint family and my lil pony’s request made me love this art

And I could get aroma therapy through your words.keep cooking and treating us through these words…

Cheers

1. shail says:

Thank u so much!! For you it was your lil pony and for me it was my hubby..😜😜

1. MeeraMayaa says:

😬😬

43. Awesome! You cannot explain your passion to anyone. I have two and not many people get it. Do start a self hosted website as soon as possible and also a youtube channel. I know a couple of friends who are doing great with the youtube cooking channels because if you are very consistent and develop a good subscriber base there is money to be made. Anyways all the very best!

1. shail says:

Thank u so much for your wishes!!

44. Varsh says:

Masterchef turned a lot of people into chefs, didn’t it? I’ve always loved cooking and this passion has only grown with time. My unsuspecting husband and kids are my guinea pigs now. I agree that cooking is one of the best stress-buster!

1. shail says:

Haha so good to hear I am not the only one who has made her husband a guinea pig for her experiments🤣🤣🤣

45. Shalzzz says:

Loved your take on the prompt! Food journey is a thing close to my heart too. So, it was interesting to learn about your experiences. 🙂

Thank u so much!!

46. alpanadeo says:

Cooking is therapeutic to many. No wonders when we make a dish what they say in culinary world marrying two flavors, then this art has to bring its effects. I am very happy to read you story and journey. Can completely understand the satisfaction you must be getting as you move towards your goal with each passing year. Good luck and best wishes for your future youtube channel and cook book.

1. shail says:

Thank you so much for your wishes!!!

47. surabhi19 says:

Hi Shail! Congratulation dear on your 2 years successful delicious journey. still, you have to go more so all the best for your next journey and much hugs.

Thank us so much..😃😃😃

Liked by 1 person

48. I felt craving to cook something n eat while I was reading your post but then I can cook only a few but I can totally relate to trying to add new flavours to existing recipes n the compliments that follow.
    Nice work lawyer sahiba

Thank u so much..🙂🙂🙂

49. I have come across you blog during #MyFriendAlexa and have kept looking at it once in a while! Your journey is inspiring and continue to post more and more! Food is never out of fashion. Liked the open and straight-forward post

Thank u so much!!

50. Disha says:

All the best for your cook book! I am sure that would do wonders as your love for cooking is reflected in this post.

Thank u so much!!