Hey guys….yet another cake from my collection. This cake is a combination of chocolate plus butter scotch hence the name chocoscotch cake. For those who don’t like a complete dark chocolate cake this is the perfect combination. Not everyone loves the taste of dark chocolate and my husband is one such person. He loves butterscotch and I just love dark chocolate. Hence I tried this combo cake. It is extremely yummy and easy to make. So lets get baking…
All purpose flour/Maida – 200 gms
Sugar- 100 gms
Baking Powder- 2 tsp
Baking Soda/Soda Bi Carb- 1 tsp
Milk Powder – 1/2 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Curd- 150 gms
Lukewarm Milk – 1/2 cup (use only if required)
Cocoa Powder- 2 tbsp
Vanilla Essence- 1 tsp
Salt – a pinch
Whipping cream – 250 gms
Dark Chocolate Compound- 200 gms
Fresh cream or unsalted butter- 200 gms
For Butterscotch Sauce:
Sugar – 1 cup
Butter at room temperature- 1/2 cup
Dairy cream/Amul Cream at room temperature- 1 cup
Milk at room temperature- 2 tbsp
Round 8″ baking tin
Knife for cutting cake
1) Sieve the all purpose flour/Maida, milk powder and salt together. Keep aside.
2) In a mixing bowl mix the curd and sugar till the sugar dissolves.
3) Now mix the baking powder and baking soda in the curd and cover and keep aside for 2 mins till it rises.
4) Now add the all purpose flour/Maida, milk powder and salt mixture (as made in step 1) in batches in the curd mixture and keep mixing till there are no lumps. Now add the cocoa powder and oil and mix well.
5) The batter should be of pouring consistency and not to thick. If the batter feels thick add the milk 2-3 tbsp at a time and adjust the consistency.
1) Pre-heat oven for 5 minutes at 180 degrees.
2) Dust round cake tin using flour and pour the batter in the tin. now bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees.
Take a wide wok and place a stand in it. Place the cake tin in it and cover it with a big plate to cover the wok completely. Cook on low flame for and hour and half.
6) Take care that the batter should not be more than half of the height of the tin. The batter should be half of the tin or less then half only then it will have space to rise properly.
7) Once done check by inserting pin/toothpick in the center if it comes out clean then the sponge is ready.
1) In a deep vessel add the whipping cream. Remember the whipping cream should be chilled. You can use any brand whipping cream.
2) Start whipping the cream using electric beater. Initially start with speed 1 then go to maximum speed. Beat the cream till it form hard peaks. The entire time the cream is whipped it should be chilled. If it is summer season place the vessel in which you are whipping the cream in a wider vessel containing ice cubes and maintain the chilled temperature of the cream.
3) Once whipped the cream will double in volume.
4) In a microwave safe bowl take the dark chocolate compound and cream/butter and microwave for 30 seconds. Do this three time till the chocolate and cream/butter mix well. This is chocolate sauce. Always remember that microwave for 30 secs at a time do not rush this process or else the chocolate will burn.
For Butterscotch Sauce:
In a heavy bottom non stick pan take the sugar and let it melt on slow flame. Once it starts melting take it off the gas and add the butter, cream and milk and mix properly. The flame should be constantly on low so that the sugar does not burn. Take of the flame and mix for sometime till it cools down to room temperature. you can store this sauce for upto a month in an air tight bottle in fridge.
Flavoring the whipped cream;
1. Add of 1/4 of the chocolate sauce slowly 1/4 of the whipped cream and keep mixing it with the cream. Do not mix the whipped cream vigorously as it will become loose. Mix gently by using a spatula. This is chocolate cream.
2. Add the butterscotch essence and butterscotch sauce in the remaining cream. This is butterscotch cream.
1) Cut the cake horizontally in two halves.
2) Soak the lower layer with water and pour some chocolate sauce on it now add the whipped chocolate cream on the lower half and sandwich by the other half. Cover the entire sponge from the outer side completely with butterscotch cream using palette knife and keep in fridge for 15 mins.
3) After 15 mins pour the remaining chocolate sauce on the cake evenly. If the sauce has hardened microwave again and add 1 tsp of water if required.Once the cake has been evenly coated decorate as desired. I have decorated using chocolate vermicelli.
4) Use the remaining chocolate sauce kept in piping bag to give border or any other desired way.
5) Leave the cake in the fridge for an hour for setting. Serve chilled.
For baking tips: